Wednesday 29 April 2020

Sorting some shade for the Spartans

These Persians are no pussies! Just because they dress like colour blind residents of Carnaby St c.1966 does not make them any less deadly. Their arrows can block out the sun... hence the title of this post.

The force features some cavalry, which will be an interesting addition to the Mortal Gods gaming experience.

A bit of a closer look with the Persian Chief of Warriors in the foreground.
 The miniatures are a mix. The cavalry are Warlord Games, the rank and file Crusaders Miniatures, and the heroes are from Footsore Miniatures. A pack of Crusader Spearmen and one of Archers gave me the figures to assemble 2 bases of Sparabara, 2 of Archers and 1 of Spearmen.
The best view of the Persians is from the side so that you can see all of the stripes, zig-zags and dots on them.

More close ups

An army of fashion victims - but hopefully not Hoplite victims.
I really like the Persians. They get a bad rap due to them being the bad guys in the Western tradition, but we are lucky enough to live in times where the historic record is being seen with a bit more balance. I'm awed by Cyrus (the Great, not Billy Ray or Miley), and I wish we knew more about him.
I'm just waiting on the Persian Cards to be back in stock at Footsore, so I can order them and get these guys into battle.

On the painting tray at the moment are a mix of Ancients - some generals for Craig's Successor army, some casualties and vignettes, and some Skeleton warriors for Mortal Gods Mythic.

Nate

10 comments:

  1. Outstanding work on the clothes and shiedls, makes me want to redo my Persians...Congrats Nat, gorgeous figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I did toy with giving them a uniform, but there are so few of them I felt that treating them all as individuals was the best thing to do.

      Delete
  2. They certainly are a colourful bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I may need to wear sunglasses when I game with them.

      Delete
  3. Splendid looking fellows Nate...
    The Persians were certainly making a ‘bold statement’ with their colour and pattern choices...
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's lucky their successors toned it down and made sensible hat choices 900 years later :D

      Delete
  4. Just amazing! The colours are so vivid, I really need to read more about this period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Persians are colorful, for sure. They assault the eyes with a splash of color and gaudy patterns. “Assault” in the best possible sense. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on these Nate. Some of the very first metal figures I ever bought were Hinchcliffe Persian Immortals....I always liked them from seeing some old 60's movie about the 300 Soartans at Thermopylae with Tony Curtis or a similar actor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colorful shields and gaudy costumes are perfect! I would enjoy seeing a whole army of these.

    ReplyDelete