Thursday 23 April 2020

Keeping busy

I'm back at work, but confess that working from home offers many distractions. Most notably the accessibility of my garage, where a bunch of toys in painted and unpainted states constantly call to me. I have avoided being sucked in to the vortex entirely, but yesterday could not prevent myself from playing another fantasy game, just to try out the rules and refine them a bit. And there is definitely some refining needed. Orcs for instance, were ripped apart by the Dwarf army before getting into contact. This tended to happen in Dragon Rampant too, so maybe my Orcs just need to be sneakier, but I suspect what I really need are some faster units, like Boar boyz. Add that to the shopping list.
Aerial view of the Battle of the Two Fords
 I didn't do a full battle report for this game, just taking a few photos of the set up, as I new time was precious, but the idea was that the Orcs were advancing from one direction, and Chaos from another. Opposing them were an Imperial-Dwarf alliance, defending the two fords that cross the river.
The Imperial set-up. No knights, just foot troops.

Opposing them a matching force in terms of points, but light in numbers.

The Orc force, ready to strike

And the brave Dwarven defenders

In the centre sat a woods which was unpassable.

In the first clashes the Orc Warlord was seen off by a combination of the handgunners and the gyrocopter. After that, things just got worse for the Orcs. Only at the end did the Shaman use his magic to literally squish the Dwarf King.
 Overall the Dwarfs were too strong, but I put this down to the activation system. The Orcs' lower Discipline rating meant that they failed their command tests often, and this allowed the Dwarfs to activate their units. As such, the cannon and handgunners were shooting just about every turn. So I think that I might abandon that mechanism, and just try the rules with IGo-UGo.
AT the end the Chaos knights are sweeping through the Imperial flank, while the Giant turns around and walks away - he did this for most of the game.

In the evenings I've continued to paint, mostly Star Wars Legion.
The dark lord of the Sith

I tried very hard to follow the guide by Sorastro

But gave up in the end and used gloss varnish

My third squad of stormtroopers

And two units of speeder bikes
The second squad of Stormtroopers, and the last dozen 54mm Great War figures

The Chaos Sorcerer can summon a demon, so this Reaper miniature that I bought years ago has been painted and drafted into use.
Currently painting Macedonian pikemen for Craig.

Nate

13 comments:

  1. "Most notably the accessibility of my garage, where a bunch of toys in painted and unpainted states constantly call to me"

    That's not temptation. My work-from-home desk has the bookshelf with all of my rule, wargaming and military books in it to the left, and my painting table directly behind me. I could move to the desk in the spare room, but that also has my gaming table and figures in it.

    I'm doomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the lead pile is doomed? Important to stay positive about these things!

      Delete
    2. I don't like painting, so it's less of a temptation than it seems :)

      Delete
  2. A most enjoyable looking game. The Star Warsvfigures really look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. At some point I'll get them on the table for a game.

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that the first couple of days of working from home were very difficult for me because I like the human interaction, but once I got into a routine it was OK apart from the barrage of questions from her indoors “what ya doing?”, “do you want a coffee?”, “are you busy?”...it goes on. Then I had two weeks of enforced leave (ha ha...leave... I worked ar least 3 to 4 hours every day of the two weeks), and now that I am back working from home I long for the office again. At least I am enforcing the discipline to keep hobby and work time separate.

    Are you set to spend some real classroom time, or are you going to be remote teaching only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all remote teaching for the near future I'm afraid. I was all ready to volunteer to go back, but the school has a plan. Hopefully in a couple of weeks things I'll be in front a class again.

      Delete
  4. Nice looking game Nate...the Darth Vadar figure and storm troopers are very nice indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Time to get back to some historicals now.

      Delete
  5. Another nice looking game Nate...
    It’s nice to see that your wargames butterfly is in a healthy state...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been better Aly! I have to admit that the Fantasy games have been a breath of fresh air.

      Delete
  6. Game looks great Nate. Bit hard for me to work from home so HAVE to do modelling stuff!!

    ReplyDelete