Wednesday 8 April 2020

The Guards

The last War of Spanish Succession Confederate unit for a little while is the English Foot Guards.
The flags date them to pre-1707

The mitres on the grenadiers were trimmed down so that they didn't have a bag hanging off them.

My goal for the first half of the year was to have half of the WSS armies completed, and bar 4 generals currently on the painting tray, I have done that. That amounts to 6 infantry, 3 cavalry and 2 artillery units per side. The end of the year goal is to have 2/3 of the armies complete, which means 2 infantry and 1 cavalry unit per side more. I think that will be eminently doable.

Painting concentration will now shift back to Star Wars Legion and Ancients - both Craig's Successors and my Gallic Wars projects, but I plan to have a WSS game in the next couple of days.

Nate

12 comments:

  1. Your English guardsmen are superb, Nathan! I really enjoy seeing progress on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I've been enjoying seeing them progress a bit further each time, and I'm keen to get into my Portuguese cavalry - but later on!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work on the Guards Nate, I particularly like your brush work on the grenadiers Mitre caps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes very pleased with how they turned out.

      Delete
  3. Splendid unform, colors...and paintjob!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still not convinced by the Warlord plastics but you have made a splendid job of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea. I think of them as the Spencer Smiths of the 21st Century - a relatively cheap way to put together some armies. I must admit that I do enjoy it when I get an Ebor command figure in there to paint.

      Delete
  5. That's another fine body of men, lovely work Nate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I hope they can match their reputation on the games table.

      Delete
  6. Awesome work there Nathan!

    ReplyDelete