Friday 18 December 2015

Not a review, more a tiny rant

This post contains no spoilers about The Force Awakens. I was going to do an in-depth review early next year when people have seen it and the key elements of plot were well-known. But I doubt I'll be revisiting it. So this rant will avoid giving away anything but my personal reaction to the movie.
I'll start by stating that a lot of people have enjoyed Star Wars Episode VII. You probably will too. If you are someone that felt betrayed by the prequels and hated them, then this probably is the movie you have been waiting for. But not me.
For Episode VII, dream up a better plot I shall.
I've made no secret of the fact that I liked the prequels. Was there stuff I thought could have been different? Yes - mostly Jar Jar and some of the wooden dialogue and 'yippee'. But what George Lucas did do was tell a story. We knew Anakin would fall, but Lucas created a situation that made sense for that to happen. The background to the collapse of the Republic was explored in a way that advanced the story and gave a message to us at the same time. Star Wars under Lucas explored the diversity of human experience and created a modern myth. 
Episode VII does not do that. It is derivative and dull. The plot twists are few and telegraphed. There is no wonder in this movie for me. It gives me nothing new. In fact it has taken something away from me. Star Wars was a pivotal influence on me growing up, shaping my sense of wonderment and perception of the universe. The prequels built on this, even though I was an adult when I saw them. Episode VII has had the opposite effect. It is a missed opportunity to do wonderful things with characters we all loved. It has no soul. It has no myth. It has killed a little bit of my childhood. I found it nothing short of depressing. I am now seriously considering selling all of my Star Wars miniatures and moving on. Over-reaction? Possibly, but my reaction nonetheless.
I said in my eariler post this week that Star Wars is a very personal journey for many of us. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with what I have written. That does not make it any less true for me.

Nate

9 comments:

  1. I've not seen the new movie yet, so can't really comment on it. I was 9 when the original Star Wars came out, I saw it at the cinema around 20 times, now I've gotta admit most of them were where me and my brother sneaked in the back door without paying!! Its quite daft but the film honestly made a major effect on both our lives. I loved the next two as well And I wish that was where it ended. I hated the next three, I felt angry and let down that they'd actually ruined my childhood fantasy life. I was Han Solo after all!!
    So as for the new film, do I want to see it? I don't know? I'm scared I'm gonna get that punch in the gut again. All stupid really, I'm 47 for fecks sake!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go see it, Ray. I'm sure that just about everyone else in the world will love it - and please let me know if you do - especially if you didn't like the prequels. The dialogue is good, there is humour and space battles. They just seemed a bit meaningless to me.

      Delete
  2. Now you've got me worried as I've not seen it yet, but like Ray (albeit a couple of years younger) the original exposure to this film changed the way that I looked at the world. It was something that belonged to me, not a relic of the past, but something that looked to the future. Yes I know that you can argue that it is little more than a western in space, but it allowed us children an opportunity to dare to dream. For what it's worth, I too, quite liked the prequels. They didn't seem to spoil MY Star Wars, just allowed others an opportunity to share the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, I think most of the world likes this movie, so don't worry about it. I'm probably over-thinking things, but on the other hand, I've been rationalising my gut reaction. I expected more, and I feel like I got way less. I'd be pleased to think other people din't feel like that, especially big fans.

      Delete
  3. One day I might watch the first one , or any one of them for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it didn't work for you, Nate.

    I can see that it wouldn't work for everyone, but maybe down the line - some distance from the release hype - you might revisit it and see if your feelings have mellowed.

    Mine certainly did, for instance, with The Phantom Menace. When I first saw that I felt "betrayed" and hated so much of it, but these days I'll happily watch it (even I 'zone out' during Jar Jar moments for the sake of my sanity), simply because it's "Star Wars".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe... I think a lot will depend on Episode VIII. I think that to a certain extent episodes II and III made up for Jar Jar in Episode I, and I'm guessing episode VIII will have to have some new story in it. I'll try to be optimistic.

      Delete
  5. I just saw it today, and agree with you whole-heartedly: derivative and dull, despite outstanding special effects and decent acting. Every single scene and plot twist (or what's supposed to be plot twists) has been done already--and done better--in the previous movies. I began making a list of plot similarities and gave up after 11. Zeesh. What a waste of money! I doubt I will even go to any more sequels; enough is enough.

    Best regards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what really gets to me. The acting and dialogue is better than any other Star Wars movie, and the old hands deliver stunning performances. It is just that the story is awful! I still have hope for episode VIII - after all, what is left to copy? They have to come up with something original, don't they?

      Delete