Wednesday 14 October 2015

World War One Wednesday

I haven't done one of these in a while, but I've just finished a couple of books on posters and cartoons of the First World War, so I'm going to revive World War One Wednesday with some of my favourite images. I find the art of this period very evocative. I find it helps define the way I perceive the war, especially as a contrast to the black and white photographs and film which can make the era seem distant and alien. The aesthetic of the poster and cartoon art brings me closer to the time than any of those other images can.
'Twice I have held and won on the Marne.'
A French propaganda poster from 1918 encouraging the French population not to give up. Not long after this was created the French won the war (with a bit of help from their friends).

Nate

1 comment: