Saturday 28 March 2020

War at Sea during the lockdown

This is the third day of the New Zealand lockdown, and the first day of the school holidays, so I was able to do a little gaming stuff today. I decided to repaint my sea boards, as they were looking a bit worn, and decided to christen them with a small game of One Hour Jutland. These rules are written by Martin Rapier and John Armatys, and available free from Martin's blog. I've had one game where I took the full mini-Jutland forces, but this time I just wanted to have a quick game so used some light forces.
The British squadron

The German opposition
 Ignore the ships used - both sides had a battle-cruiser, a light cruiser and one or two destroyers. I thought Westfalen was a battle-cruiser, but I should have been using Von der Tann. And the Brits should have had Indefatigable on the table. I didn't have my guidebook handy.
The British navy have the best of the duel
 The two sides advanced into range to broadside each other, with the destroyers letting go a couple of torpedos as well. The British gunnery proved far more effective than the Germans, despite the Germans almost getting a critical hit on the British Battlecruiser (they explode on a natural 6 followed by a second roll of 5 or 6 - the Germans rolled a 4).
The German Battle-cruiser is in trouble

Ka Boom! Scratch one German ship.

The Wiesbaden makes a run for it.
I enjoy solo gaming, and as such this lock-down is fine for me. I'm planning on trying to play plenty of games in between painting my daughter's bedroom, but mostly relatively quick ones like this. 
The boards from above look quite effective.

Nate

11 comments:

  1. Looks nice, ships and markers...Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. You too. I hope your part of France isn't too badly hit.

      Delete
  2. Looked like a short, sharp action Nate....look forward to reading about more if your solo games in the weeks....and months?!......ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes, I plan to get that game count up.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Take care of you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boards have turned out well...
    That grey sea reminds me of home...;-)
    I am getting more and more tempted by naval wargames...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I was going for a North Sea look! I've tried a few different naval games, and have to say that simple and quick is definitely better. Age of sail gams tend to do my head in (the whole wind thing), but ancient galleys and steam powered battleships are much more fun.

      Delete
  5. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the WWI rules. And Age of Sail One Hour Wargames variant is available here https://groups.io/g/AMW/files/One%20Hour%20Wargames/?ord=updated&d=desc (you will have to join the Group.io to get the file, but it is free).
    Best wishes, John Armatys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I'll join and have a look. And thank you for writing these rules.

      Delete