Sunday 29 March 2020

A timely regiment

The latest WSS regiment to roll off the production line is French Regiment La Couronne. A beautiful blue faced regiment to contrast with my red and white faced regiments. The last of the grey coated French is going to be the Royaux Vaisseux, who have a mix of red and blue facings and waistcoats. La Couronne is also the French equivalent of La Corona, hence why their advent in my collection is timely.

Best view with the flags nice and clear

The grey coats are done with grey contrast paint. Not as nice a finish as painting them in a layered style, but I'm really going for the mass effect on the table with the Spanish Succession project.

Close up showing the drummer's lace and that the Warlord plastics don't scrub up too badly.
I also took the opportunity today to add some finishing touches to my Greek house. I'm aware that mosaics didn't start appearing in the Greek world until around the time of the Peloponnesian War and would have been rare, but surely a wealthy Athenian is just the person to be among the first to start adding these kinds of decoration?
Farm from above with rooves on.

Tada! Pretty floors!

Out side the door to the living quarters, a herm with the head of Theseus - legendary king of Athens and ancestor of the family who lives here.

Seen through the front gates, a statue of Perseus in the courtyard
 Note the statues are painted - that is what the Greeks did. They would have been surprised at out appreciation of bare rock.
And the visitor's view of the herm

Looking through the door at the andron.
Some furniture might also be an appropriate addition at some point. Couches to recline on in the andron would be good.

Nate

18 comments:

  1. Another very nice WSS unit Nate and the building is pretty impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely WSS unit and the Greek house is splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atmospheric and gorgeous Greek house, lovely details...And the French regiment is truly superb, this uniform is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Phil. I'm looking forward to the house being at the centre of a game soon.

      Delete
  4. Very nice. Which grey did you use and what undercoat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Paul. It was Basilicanum Grey over a white undercoat. In places I feel it built up a bit too much and I should have mopped the excess up (like the bottom of the officer's coat). I'll make sure to do that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work Nathan! Take care up there mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful brushwork on the WSS regiment! Neat Greek villa too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely unit Nate...
    I have been experimenting a bit with Contrast Paints... I have found that using them slightly diluted with the Contrast Medium over a base colour works quite well...
    If you need more depth you can do another coat...
    I have found that ... so far.... the browns,reds,dark blues,black,greys and the white all work well for my historical miniatures..
    I love what you have done with your villa ... I am looking forward to seeing how you match up the soft furnishings... ;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Do you use Lahmian medium to dilute your contrast paints?

      Delete
    2. No ...
      I use the Contrast Medium for the Contrast Paints...
      But I use Lahmian Medium to dilute the normal Citadel paints...
      The Contrast Medium preserves the viscosity of the Contrast Paint...
      Anything else just seems to reduce it to a simple wash... which can be useful at times...
      I hope that makes sense...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    3. That's great Aly, thanks. When the lockdown ends I'll get some contrast medium.

      Delete