Sunday 15 May 2016

My Wargaming Week 8

I managed to pick up some sort of gastro-bug this week, and it has progressively worsened. A trip to the quack today confirmed my worst fears - it is a virus and can't be fixed with antibiotics! I just have to take anti-nausea tablets and wait until it decides it is more sick of me than I am of it. Needless to say that as a result my output has been greatly reduced this week. I did however, manage to finish off Mr Anarchy's punks:

The Punks are the henchmen for Mr Anarchy, and I've used the Warlord Games Judge Dredd juve gang as the source of the figures. I tried to keep to a theme with Mr Anarchy's colours, while making sure they were all still individuals. I'm looking forward to taking them for a run with Clobberin' Time sometime soon.

I also painted five Old Glory Confederate generals for John, but haven't finished basing them yet.
Stonewall Jackson
Lee and his old war-horse, Longstreet.
Hill and Stuart.
The figures were all quite nice and characterful except Hill whose casting was quite rough, with holes and seam lines everywhere. I thought I'd got them all, but this photo proves me wrong.

The payment for painting John's British cavalry last week, these generals and the upcoming German cavalry is the return of several DBA armies that I painted and that ended up on John's shelves. This week, the Philistines were the first to come home:
Back in the promised land waiting for the Hebrews to arrive...
Next week I want to get Craig's 105mm battery and PaK 40s painted so that he can get them before NICon. Then I have John's Renegade German WWI cavalry to paint the following week, followed by some figures for Geoff, followed by some more Japanese tanks for Craig. Things are pretty full on, on the painting front over the next couple of months!

Nate

14 comments:

  1. Hopefully this posting shows you are now on the mend Nate, so fingers crossed your over the worse of your bug now. Great work on the Anarchy crew. You've really made those "Mongoose" sculpts look terrific and a great tie-in colour scheme too. Clearly loads of the go at present, so really looking forward to seeing all these projects coming to fruition over the coming weeks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric. Yes, pretty happy with the Anarchy crew. I feel a bit better this morning, so fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you have not been feeling very well, sounds awful! That said these look amazing, love the punks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely work last week Nate! Really like that Longstreet fig, possibly the best I have seen. Hope the virus has had enough of you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - every time I paint ACW for John it makes me want to paint my own. Maybe next year... at least I get to play with his toys!

      Delete
  4. Get well soon Nate :)

    Lovely painting on the punks and the generals :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you are too sick to paint, you are indeed sick! I hate when that happens.
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clobberin' Time? As in the free rules on my blog? Id be thrilled to see how you get on with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One and the same. I did a quick test run of a fight between Delta Wave and Mothron a week or so ago. I might need to make a couple of mods here and there (particularly in character survivability), but what really impressed me was the ease of play. The rules reflect the effects in a simple manner rather than having to remember 100 different aspects with everybody's powers. My problem with most superhero rules is that they try to put the narrative into the rules, rather then make the rules simple and allow the narrative to make itself. eg Mothron rolls 3 dice in a long-range attack. I know this is his mothballs, but are they gas, or EMP or what? It doesn't matter - if it is effective then it is something that will be effective against that hero, so then I can make it up. So when he took down Speed I decided that it must have been gas mothballs, otherwise how would he have targeted the big red streak when he is moving so fast?
      OK, this is turning into a post in its own right, and I plan to say a lot more about CT after a few more games.
      But cheers for the rules Alan!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you've been unwell, that sucks. Some incredible painting as ever. Love those punk henchmen (always thought a lot of the old Mongoose Judge Dredd figures had some very odd poses, but these have scrubbed up nicely).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. I agree about the Mongoose poses, but then Mega-City One is a pretty bizarre place, and these punks look pretty bizarre. They fit the Anarchy image perfectly!

      Delete