Friday 26 June 2020

Doings

Firstly, a big sorry to the online community for not replying to comments and making comments on other people's blogs. Life has been exceptionally busy recently. Today I am off work with a sore throat (If you are sick, stay at home) and in half an hour I'm off for the joy of a Covid test, which I have confidence will come back negative. New Zealand has done a great job with the pandemic, and aside from those returning home overseas (who are quarantined), we have no new cases being spread within the community. I'm proud of the way we've accomplished what we have, although it has come at an economic cost to our Tourism and Hospitality sectors. 
At any rate, that does give me half an hour to just capture some of the stuff that has been going on in my little hobby world.
First up, I played my first game of Star Wars Legion last Friday night. It went really well, and I have learned plenty. I lost, of course, but I've got a good idea now of how I could improve in the future and a lot of it comes down to simply knowing what different units can actually accomplish on the table.
The TTCombat buildings were built in the weekend. I'm still thinking about how to paint them.

I purchased the Battlekiwi boards for my Superhero gaming, and I am really pleased with them. Here they are above with their base coats sprayed on and the buildings I have in various states of getting ready. Throw in some cars and civilians, and imagine the park with greenery in it, and it will be a nice space to game on.
Painting has slowed right down. I finished the Shore-troopers and the Occupier tank for my Imperials, but nothing since. I can't see it getting any better over the next fortnight, although I hope I can fit in Craig's Tauntauns.
The Shoretroopers were painted with Sorastro's instructions

A mix of traditional techniques and contrast paints.

The Occupier tank is a beast on the table.

My most successful unit last Friday

I've been watching videos about Infamy, Infamy, the new Ancients ruleset by TooFatLardies, and I think I'm a convert from what I've seen of Rich's battle reports. I've always been a fan of the Lardies approach to history, but the games themselves have left me a little cold. A lot of that has been in the number of things I need to remember that leaders of different status can do. It's not a major obstacle, but one that has been counter-intuitive to a lot of the games I've played. I'm determined to stick it out this time, though, and I've preordered the rules and begun reorganising my Romans and Gauls. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up Dux Brittaniarum and Sharpe Practice too?

OK, better go and have my brains poked out.
Nate

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The results should be in by tomorrow. I'm really not expecting anything more than a bit of a cold, but I come into contact with 100s of people a day, so better safe than sorry.

      Delete
  2. Awesome Shoretroopers, great job Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning work as always. Hope all is well with the test. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The battle kiwi terrain looks pretty good Nate and the troopers are truly lovely. I also like your attitude to how we have dealt with Covid 19 in New Zealand, compared with all the politically motivated whinging there has been over the last couple of weeks about a few positive cases amongst people returning from overseas! How was the test - I hear they are not as invasive/uncomfortable now as they were at the start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my eyes water, and was mildly uncomfortable, but over fast and definitely not painful. I agree. Aside from one slip up which has actually been managed very well in the aftermath, we've done the best I feel we could.

      Delete
  5. Your Star Wars stuff is ace! Best wishes in your brain poking exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. It wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe.

      Delete
  6. I hope the test is quickly proved negative Nathan...and your brain is till intact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - as intact as it ever was...

      Delete
  7. Lovely toys as always Nate...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fingers crossed Nathan. Good luck. Hopefully the low rate and odds are on your side.
    Looking forward to Infamy, watching the video and the flow seems similar to SP, always been tempted by Ancients but TFL finally gave me the nudge I needed.

    ReplyDelete