Wednesday 26 February 2020

Death troopers

Latest off the painting tray are some Death Troopers for Craig. I tried to follow Sorastro's instructions to create highlights to the black armour that would look natural, but they were just too bright and didn't graduate enough. So I washed them blue-black to dull them down a bit and painted on a gloss varnish to naturally catch the light. Craig hasn't got back to me yet on whether he is happy with this. I figure I can always spray them with matt varnish to bring them back to where they were if he doesn't want the really shiny version. You can see in the photos below some of the painted highlights still showing through.



Wookies tonight I think.

Nate

6 comments:

  1. Very nice Nate...
    The matte/gloss contrast works really well...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Yes, later painting tutorials that I've found have dispensed with the attempts to shade at all and have just gone straight into the gloss varnish. I'll keep this same format for the next unit though.

      Delete
  2. Gee Nate you are certainly cranking through the painting...and the posting. I don't like the glossy style some people favour but these look OK to me...black is definitely a hard colour to highlight using dry brushing methods..too subtle and you can't see a difference, too much and it just looks grey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Keith, especially when the original is shiny and gloss does provide those highlights naturally. My normal painting of black is to use German Grey and then wash it with Vallejo black wash. It provides it's own highlights that way, but has a very flat finish.

      Delete
  3. I have to say I think this approach works rather well, they certainly look menacing and up for a fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would be pleased with that description. These might be the stormtroopers that can actually hit something!

      Delete