Saturday 18 July 2015

Smaland cavalry

The first 15mm cavalry unit for the Great Northern War. Some painting for myself this time.
'Ga Pa!'
A Russian point of view - emphasis on the point!
These are Irregular Miniatures figures which are nice basic casts. They paint up OK. 
The armies I aim to build are based on units that were present at Poltava, but I'm looking at using them for a campaign based in Livonia which was created by Angus Konstam for Wargames Illustrated a hundred years ago (well, at least last century).
The standard comes from the excellent Tacitus website. If you are going to do a Great Northern War project, or even if you are just a little bit interested in finding out more about the conflict, take a look.

Nate

13 comments:

  1. These look great and your painting really brings them to life!
    I must get a few Irregular figures to see for myself. Are Irregular true 15s or larger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. They are closer to true 15mm. Maybe a bit bigger than Essex, but nowhere near the the bigger 18mm figures. I have Black Hat generals and they are noticeably larger than the Irregular, so I placed them on Irregular horses, and they look OK.

      Delete
  2. A splendid uniform and a great paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil. I do like the Swedish colours.

      Delete
  3. Looking good Nate. I have my own GNW project scheduled for 2016, but after seeing these it might just slip forward a month or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It is a very interesting period. Warfare keep bringing out more figures, so probably worth holding out a while until their range is complete?

      Delete
  4. An excellent period! I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there'll be more, Ray. Just don't know when.

      Delete
  5. These are nice! Any idea how they compare to the BM15s?

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks FMB. I haven't bought any BM GNW, but I did have some of their WWI and if they are the same size then I'd say that the difference would be quite pronounced.

      Delete
  6. Excellent unit for one of my favorite periods in history! I agree, the Tacitus site is a virtual encyclopedia on GNW units, uniforms etc. I can also recommend the book by Lars-Eric Höglund, which goes into detail on each unit's history and contains many uniform plates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BP. I'll look into getting the Höglund book.

      Delete