Sunday 31 March 2019

Ready for Mortal Gods

I received my shipping notice for Mortal Gods this week, so I'm expecting it sometime in the next 12 days (downside of being on the opposite side of the world). In the meantime, I've finished two forces so that I can get straight into it once it arrives.
These are an Athenian and a Spartan Lochos, and although I'm not sure about points totals at this stage, I am sure that this will be enough figures to get me started.
Spartans cross a river - making the Helots go first of course, just in case it has a strong current.

Hoplites consider getting their toes wet.

Spartan hero - 'I don't need a helmet!'

Spartans vs Athenians - we'll have to see how this plays out when the rules get here.
I also spent the afternoon playing a game of Clash of Empires with unpainted figures. I'm really impressed with the rules, and it hasn't taken much to get a good grip on how they play. Today was Seleucids vs Pompey's Romans, and after a close game the Seleucids had broken the Roman centre.
Initial deployment

Companion cavalry on the charge defeat their Roman equivalents. 

End of the game, and two phalanxes have taken heavy casualties, but only one Roman legionary unit is standing .
I'd recommend the game to anyone who has ever played WAB and enjoyed it. There is a lot that is familiar, but the hero element is reduced and the game plays a bit more smoothly.

Nate

3 comments:

  1. Very nice looking ancient Greeks - look forward to your receiving the rule set getting the figures into action!

    ReplyDelete