Monday 20 January 2020

Rule Britannia (and Gaul, Germania, Dacia etc)

While spending a pleasant week at the beach this summer, I began thinking about my ancients projects. I decided I wanted to revisit my adaptation of Lion Rampant for the Gallic Wars, which I named Caesar Rampant. There were a number of aspects that I wanted to alter. The first was to adapt some of the ideas from the Men Who Would Be Kings into the game, particularly the idea that a failed activation does not hand the turn over to one's opponent, but simply means activation of another unit. I also wanted to make attack rolls based on the number of figures, and to really give individual units some character that they could call their own.
Having got the balance pretty good so far, I decided to try and extend the rules into the Early Imperial period. So chariots were added, as were auxiliaries. The Scorpio battery was an interesting addition, and has only been playtested the once, but let's just say that it probably needs some work. With the change in scope, I thought a new name might be in order, so I've renamed them Rule Britannia (and Gaul). They can be found on this page here:
https://natholeonsempires.blogspot.com/p/caesar-rampant-gallic-wars.html

The armies that I had painted for Caesar Rampant I passed on to my wargaming buddy John, so I've been cobbling together new units which are not yet painted, but they are high on the priority list! Here's a couple of snaps of the playtesting that I did.
Romans on the right in stealth armour, Gauls on the left in multiple states of undress!

The 12 figure base is handy for the Romans, as they have flanks in the rules.


The Gauls are boosted by some spare Germans and Wargames Foundry Cyclops. Rest of the Gauls will be arriving soon.

In this earlier game there was a lot more running away. I've altered that now. 
Have a go with the  rules if you are interested - and let me know how they work for you, and any clarifications I need to make.

Nate

6 comments:

  1. Looks nice, lovely minis and hut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Yes it is unusual that I have the terrain painted before the minis!

      Delete
  2. I will try this out, thanks! I have been looking for an ancients game at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome FMB. Once I've got all my Gauls I might try a 36 point battle. I find Dragon Rampant is best at this size, and I can't see the games getting bogged down at all.

      Delete
  3. This all looks very interesting Nate...
    I may have use for these...;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David's list on his blog are excellent for late empire, but see if you can do a little converting to the activation system here.

      Delete