Tuesday 5 November 2019

A sad delivery

Normally when a new book arrives in the mail it is a moment of great joy as I open it up, look at the index, and decide which chapter I'll read first (don't ask). But today's delivery was tinged with the sadness that the author passed away yesterday. And not just any author, but a man, along with Charles Grant and Donald Featherstone, I consider to be one of my greatest wargames influences.

Stuart Asquith (photo from Henry Hyde on Facebook)
I first encountered Stuart's writing through Practical Wargamer magazine when I was at University, and it was this magazine, (which I have now collected in its entirety) that is still my go-to for inspiration. I also have his Solo and Siege Wargaming books, along with the scenario book that he wrote with Charles Grant; not to mention the more recent Marlburian Warfare book released by John Curry's History of Wargaming project. These have been read and reread A couple of years ago I was able to send Stuart a message thanking him for the inspiration he had given me via Keith Flint's blog, and was humbled to get a response. I'm glad I got the chance to say thank you - there are some real giants upon whose shoulder's our hobby has been built, and I will miss his ability to inspire me with the written word.

The book that arrived was the latest from the History of Wargaming series, 

I will sit back this evening with a beer and enjoy this one, Stuart. Thank you so much for all you have done.

Nate

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a big loss. Will join you in a beer for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another giant of the hobby lost. I have a number of his works in my library. Time to pull one off the shelf and remind myself of his important contribution.

    ReplyDelete