Friday 11 October 2019

Painting update

It's been a while since I had a post solely for the painting that I've done, so here is a photoshoot of some of the most recent.

Austrian Osnabruck-Lorraine regiment. These guys served in Italy and then in Spain.

Thanks to Aly of Aly's toy soldiers I found a copy of the flags for this regiment on the Fighting Talk forum. Also on there was uniform information and I quickly repainted the neckerchiefs red rather than white.

Next up, some Afghans for my 54mm North West Frontier toy soldier project. Painted in traditional toy soldier style with  gloss varnish, these guys are one of the two periods helping scratch my toy soldier itch. Figures are Armies in Plastic.
Opposition for the Pathans - Bengal Lancers! One of my all-time favourite corps. Eventually there will be 8 in the unit.


Helping out the Imperial cause - Sikhs! 

Pictured together, the idea is that these guys will be in half sized units for The Sword and The Flame

The other toy soldier project - the Great War. I've been painting up a few more of these chaps too.

Back to 28mm and here is my second unit of Roman Legionaries. I've played a test game of War and Conquest, and I really like it. WaC will now be my go-to ruleset.

To oppose the Romans here are some Companion cavalry that I painted up for Craig. I'm hoping to have his ancients completed by the end of the year.
I've been beavering away on terrain for the North West frontier as well, but more on that later.
I'm very excited that Ian Kay at Irregular Miniatures has completed sculpting Heavy Machine Guns for the Great War in 54mm, so as soon as they arrive I will have them painted and posted up here.

Nate

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful figures...and awesome Osnabruck-Lorraine regiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy at the painting desk, Nathan! Love the work on your Austrians. The regiment’s flags are gorgeous. Never heard of War and Conquest. The base sizes look compatible with Impetvs and To The Strongest. Are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. War and Conquest are one of the successor games to Warhammer Ancient Battles, but are a much less hero dominated set. I had settled on Clash of Empires, but after giving these a go, I'm a convert!

      Delete
  3. Nice looking Austrians,I like the toy soldier north west frontier figures, but I think my favourites are the ancients, great looking Romans and Companions!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Yes, the Romans came out looking suitably gritty I feel, while the Companions look they just stepped onto the parade ground. I think that sums up the two armies.

      Delete
  4. The North West Frontier should be interesting and the figures look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, it's been something at the back of my mind for a while now, and I've finally taken the plunge into the world of 54mm gaming.

      Delete
  5. I hink I have fallen in love with those 54mm miniatures! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. It has been a challenge to paint them without trying to do shading etc., but just letting the colours speak for themselves. My only fear is the dreaded soft plastic paint flaking, but I hope I've prepped them and varnished them to a point where that isn't a problem.

      Delete
  6. You’ve done a lovely job on those standards Nathan...
    And I do like the shiny toys... Khaki always looks a lot nicer...gloss... :-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. And I couldn't agree more about the toys. It seems the later the period the more toy soldiery it should get.

      Delete