I wanted to do a test paint on the Lancashire Games figures in between jobs for Geoff. I did these guys up last night to test colours and how well they would paint up. I have to say that I'm happy with the final result. The colours I used were those provided by Mark Hargreaves from his blog 'Over Open Sights' - he has painting guides available upon request.. As always, by the time you switch on macros and go for the fine detail 18mm figures lose some of that effect that they have from three feet, but they still look alright.
|Advancing and firing figures|
|And from a slightly different angle - the photo makes them look more blue-grey than they really are.|
|And again from a slightly different angle.|
The figures themselves paint up very easily and have just the right level of detail. There are incised lines on the cuffs which you can follow to paint in the red piping.
OK, the next week is going to be a bit messy - I have 70 junior exams to mark, their reports to write and Year 12s to prepare for their Classical Studies examination on Friday. Then I have the last of the figures that I'm painting for Geoff - some Hasslefree Apocalypse survivors - and then I need to finish my secret project. Then and only then, will I get into finishing the Crimean War project. After that will be the 1914 WWI. No plans beyond that though, as I'm notoriously fickle, and I have a hankering to get that ECW 28mm project underway. I will also fit a couple of test-paint elements of WWI French in there somewhere as they will only take one session to do, and I'm always more motivated when I have some painted figures to add to, rather than starting from scratch.