Saturday 19 August 2017

Excited


Just as I thought I was almost over my 'oooh shiny!' addiction. This looks like the most important wargaming item in my 2018 calendar! More here.

And while I'm at it, I figured I might as well share another couple of recent things that have been completed since getting over my illness.

First of all - I completed my collection of Practical Wargamer magazine. The last four missing issues from my collection were filled in by Caliver Books. I loved this magazine when it was going, and I still love it today. An endless source of inspiration.
I was going to lay them all out, but they wouldn't fit on the table, so here is the stack.

And from the side, which gives a better idea of how many there are.
A few extra units for the Great Paraguayan War have fresh new coats of paint:
Brazilian regular 2nd infantry unit

Brazilian Voluntarios.

Argentine National Guard battalion.
These guys are all from the Freikorps 15mm American Civil War range. The Confederates in gum blankets make great volunteers in ponchos for the Brazilians.

As I am about to receive my 15mm Seven Year War Russian army from Old Glory 15s, I thought I would buy a few bits and pieces to finish them off. Now I needed some Cossacks, Horse Grenadiers and generals, and only 1 gun each for the Prussians and Austrians, but by the time you factor in postage and the extras that I didn't really need from the US (no point buying a pack of 6 guns when you only need 1), I couldn't really go with OG15s again. So I thought I would try some Eureka minis. These duly arrived nad they are beautiful sculpts, but...
My Old Glory general next to a Eureka general.
Old Glory dragoons next to a Eureka Horse Grenadier



And another shot from the front.
 The Eureka horses are HUGE! Now I could justify that the Horse Grenadiers are heavy cavalry mounted on big horses, but I still think that it would bother me. And the argument doesn't work for the Cossacks riding ponies that tower over the other cavalry. The generals won't necessarily be on the table right next to other horses, but I just can't bring myself to have them on the table with the difference in size. It offends my OCD.
Old Glory artillery on left side, Eureka (not finished yet) on right.
On the other hand the foot figures are a perfect match, the Eureka figures being maybe a little thinner.
So I've now ordered the same mounted figures from Irregular Miniatures - generals, horse grenadiers and cossacks. They may be a tad smaller than the OG15s, but if their 7 Years War figures are the same size as their Great Northern War figures that I have, they should actually fit together very well. I've also ordered limbers for the Russians from Irregular as well, and was always going to, so I should have just done this in the first place.
Let me know if you'd like the Eureka mounted figures - free to a good home.

Nate

12 comments:

  1. Well, Nathan, I LOVE Eureka's SYW line especially their horses. You are quite right that they stand a head or two over Old Glory or anyone else's cavalry. My SYW project is exclusively Eureka cavalry. The Eureka Russian infantry are some of the ugliest sculpts I have seen. Their Austrian and Prussians are beautiful but the Russian infantry are a let down. Eureka's Russian hussars I like very much.

    Your Paraguayan War project is coming along nicely. All three new units look terrific. The Brazilian 2nd is my favorite of this batch. Whit covered shakos/kepis look great.

    Congratulations on completing your PW collection. I have only read an issue or two but it seemed a good, solid magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I agree, the sculpts are lovely, and a collection made of them exclusively would be fantastic, but I already have two armies worth of OG, so they just don't fit in I'm afraid.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, Nate, you have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting a few things started back up really. The Paraguayan War project had stalled for a couple of years, so it is nice to get a few more units done.

      Delete
  3. Wow, very impressive, love the Brazilian Voluntarios, superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. They will make a very colourful army when they are all completed.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work Nate and just when my core box of Imperial Assault arrives, I hear of something new - I am so far behind the times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a ton of 28mm Wizards figures ready for action, so I'm hoping this system is easy enough to write stats for. Either way, it looks like fun.

      Delete
  5. Star wars legion look great Nate, it is so hard to resist the power of the Dark side....sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it is due next year - still plenty of time to get your figures finished!

      Delete
  6. The cavalry size difference... you have to hate it when that happens! I think you're right to cut your losses. I didn't in one project and just plowed on with the painting anyway despite reservations. Now I find it bugs me so much that I really don't enjoy using the army on the table.

    Lovely work with your painting, too.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. My first instinct was that it wouldn't matter too much, but I know what I'm like - it would end up niggling away at me. Time for them to go to a good home.

      Delete