Saturday 27 May 2017

Inderstadt!

'My dearest Wilhelmine
Since forcing the Rotwasser we have manoeuvred on the enemy's rear and have forced him into a position to either fight or flee. I think I now know the Feldmarscahll von Shilcher rather well, and I believe his intention will be to do both. I have therefore given him a golden opportunity to attack me. I am encamped around the area of Inderstadt, and my right wing is very weak, being held only by light troops. If von Schilcher can force them out he will be able to turn my flank and destroy my force, or at the very worst withdraw freely to the south. At least this is what I want him to think. No battle is without risk, but I have a plan that with God's help may win this campaign for us...'

Today I set up the table for the big showdown, using every unit in my Seven Years War collection.
Bird's eye view of the battlefield, Prussians on the right, Austrians on the left.
The cavalry face off against each other on the plain to the west.
The Prussian centre faces the enemy ensconced on the Katzen heights
The Freikorps deploy amongst chateaux, woods and vineyards, facing the Austrian grenzer, the dragoon brigade and a looming column of Austrian infantry.
The Austrian column of six regiments moving to turn the Prussian flank.
Some of the Prussian army is missing from the table at set-up. Where will they arrive?
The scenario for this fictional battle closely parallels another well known historical encounter. Can you guess which one?

I aim to play this out over the next week or so, depending how cold it gets in the shed...

Nate

10 comments:

  1. Looks like it is going to be a great game, best of luck Nate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see how the respective armies do, Michael.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Rodger. Not as epic as your recent 7YW report for the Southern Strategists, but there is just one of me playing!

      Delete
  3. Good looking set up and interesting situation. Can't quite pinpoint the historical counterpart, yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would it help if I tell you that the first d6 turns will be in the early morning fog?

      Delete
    2. Yep! I guess "Katzen" Heights should have been a give away...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers, Gordon. Stay tuned for a couple of battle reports on this one I think.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete