Friday 9 October 2015

Commands and Colours board

I've had the Zvezda Samurai Battles box with the Commands and Colours rules and Napoleonic Commands and Colours sitting around for a few months now. A couple of nights ago I finally got around to reading the rules properly, and I am impressed, even without having played a game. I wasn't too impressed with the Zvezda Samurai figures - I found them brittle and painful to assemble, so I had always planed to use 15mm figures. In order to track casualties, rather than removing individual figures I decided that I would use mini-dice like I do with my One Hour Wargames rules. Finally, I decided that I'd put together my own board to play on. I used the mountain tiles from the Samurai set to trace around and drew up hexes on an old grass mat that isn't really used any more. The result was better than I thought it would be.
The board set up for the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima.
A closer look. Ignore the two bare MDF bases on the top left  - I was measuring what would fit well in the hexes.
I had considered basing all of the figures individually on 15mm squares, but dismissed it as a bit fiddly. It would also mean rebasing all of these figures, which was not a pleasant prospect.I'd also have to order a few more archers and arquebuses. I plan on painting the back edge of the bases with the dice colour that matches them.

Nate

4 comments:

  1. Samurai Battles is a fantastic game and much more decision making and game depth than the other games in the series. I play it on a grid too with 15mm figures.

    Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, but what are those silver thingy's on the table?? Bad boy! No unpainted stuff allowed, its a Reject rule.

    ReplyDelete